Prince Harry and Meghan Markle would accept an invitation to spend Christmas with King Charles and the rest of the royal family at Sandringham, insiders say, adding that they may need “enhanced security” to make that happen.
The Duke of Sussex, who lives in California with Meghan Markle and their two children, Archie, 4, and Lilibet, 2, is understood to have spoken to King Charles on Tuesday during a phone call to mark his father’s 75th birthday.
Sources say Times that the conversation could be a “turning point” in the difficult relationship between the Sussexes and King Charles.
Now there are suggestions that the couple would be willing to accept an invitation to spend the holidays in the UK. It was also suggested that they would also welcome an invitation to Balmoral in Scotland during the summer.
“I can’t imagine the Sussex family turning down an invitation to spend time with His Majesty,” a source said Times described as “an acquaintance,” he told the newspaper. – There have been no invitations for the holidays so far.
The thaw in their relationship comes after a source told the Mail on Sunday that King Charles wanted to “spend more time with his grandchildren.” There is so much love in it.
It is believed that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are ready to accept any invitation from King Charles to spend Christmas at Sandringham House.
Prince Harry is understood to have spoken to his father on Tuesday, during which he played a video of his two children wishing the king a happy birthday.
Sources close to the Sussexes say that safety and security during any such visit to the UK would be an issue
It is understood that another telephone call between California and the UK is planned for the coming week.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle last spent Christmas in Sandringham in 2018.
Sources close to the couple suggested that both would need “enhanced security” to fulfill any invitation.
In March, King Charles demanded that Harry and Meghan leave Frogmore Cottage, their home in Windsor. They moved out completely in July.
Sources close to the couple told The Times that without a UK home, the Sussexes would need a “formal invitation” from King Charles or Buckingham Palace to move into a residence with sufficient security.
Prince Harry no longer benefits from police protection while in the UK following the Home Office’s decision to withdraw it. The Duke of Sussex tried to cover the security costs himself.
A legal representative told The Times that Prince Harry “could not return to his home” because it was too dangerous. Royal family advisers have said accommodation for short visits will likely be made available to the prince if any requests are received.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle last spent Christmas at Sandringham in 2018, and photos of them walking with Prince William and Catherine Middleton made headlines.
The source suggests the Sussexes would need a “formal invitation” from King Charles or Buckingham Palace to move into a residence with sufficient security
The Sussexes’ children, Archie and Lilibet, spent little time with King Charles. This distance is said to make both parties nervous
The news that the Sussexes will accept invitations to spend time with King Charles in Great Britain suggests that they are trying to mend relationships that have been broken in recent years.
The Sussexes’ children, Archie and Lilibet, spent little time with King Charles. They have never spent Christmas with their grandfather and it is said that the distance upsets both parties.
It is believed they filmed a video of them singing “Happy Birthday for the King” which was shown during Tuesday’s call.
King Charles appears to have telegraphed his desire to be a more involved grandfather, with sources telling the Mail on Sunday that he has increased the amount of time he spends with the Prince and Princess of Wales’ children.
There were fears that after joining the Crown, King Charles would find it difficult to find time for his grandfatherly duties. Queen Camilla previously described him as a hands-on grandfather who was happy to “fall on his knees and crawl for hours” with his grandchildren.
King Charles is said to be frustrated by how many personal issues have overshadowed the royal family recently.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment on what it described as “private family arrangements” when contacted by MailOnline.
MailOnline has contacted Archewell, the not-for-profit organization set up by the Sussex family, for comment.